Folks I have known: Kitty and DeWolf Perry

The summer of 1975 (between my Junior and Senior years in Seminary) saw` me in the United States. Through a friendship with an American seminarian I had been invited by Bishop Alexander Stewart of Western Massachusetts, to spend that summer as a team member with others who led Vacation Bible Schools in parishes in Western MA.

We were trained for a week at the Diocesan Camp and Conference Centre (Camp Bement), and then spent two whole weeks in four parishes: - St. James’s, Greenfield; St. Mark’s, Worcester; Nativity, Northborough and Grace Church, Oxford.

Our leader was a Seminarian, Noreen Suriner. She is now the Interim Rector at St. John’s, Northampton, MA, and we remain friends to this day.

All manner of good things happened that summer. I was trained by my dear and good Gwen Sears, little knowing that we would become colleagues in Pittsfield (1984-2000) and good friends.

I recorded an audio tape for the Diocese and the man who set up an informal studio and made the recording, Jim Sammons became a parishioner of mine in Pittsfield too!

My summer in Western Massachusetts in 1975 led, in due course, to my return to the United States where I’ve lived and thrived since 1976. (When I pass my 64th birthday in May 2008, I will have lived longer in these United States that I did in the United Kingdom).

At the end of our week of training, our fearless leader, Noreen, arranged for team Debbie Jenks and I to stay two nights with Noreen’s friends Kitty and DeWolf Perry, in Princeton, MA. (The other trainees had local homes in which they spent the weekend).

Kitty and DeWolf took us to their parish, (Good Shepherd, West Fitchburg) where DeWolf was Priest-in Charge, and also where I met Doris and Al Williams, Bristol U.K. expatriates, who later became good friends.

The team moved on to Greenfield, Worcester, Northborough and Oxford. We enjoyed a great summer of service.

But DeWolf Perry, - indeed the Revd. DeWolf Perry had left a deep impression on me after that brief weekend. He had wisdom that I needed.

So dear Noreen arranged for me to spend an afternoon with him. And he and I spent an unforgettable afternoon on the lawn of his garden in Princeton, and “I told him all things ever that I had done” It was such a safe time.

Fast forward one year. In 1976 the famous/infamous Bishop Alexander Stewart invited me back to the U.S.A. to serve at Good Shepherd, Fitchburg - that very same congregation with whom I had worshipped the year before.

I came to the States in 1976 on a two year contract, and I am still here!

Then DeWolf and Kitty Perry became my mentors. They lived not far away from Fitchburg, and at my urging continued to worship at Good Shepherd. Their joint and several counsel changed and blessed my life.

Kitty’s wisdom was understated and perhaps under valued. But I learned to trust her judgement.

DeWolf would listen to my “rants”, and then quietly lead me to a new way of thinking, always prefacing his words with “now Michael”.

Even now, when I get into a rant I hear those quiet words: “now Michael”.

Kitty helped me to remember the goodly traditions of the past.

DeWolf always prepared me for the goodly hopes for the future.

Many years later I sat with Kitty in Princeton as the children, Jim, Dain and Tinka helped DeWolf to die in Worcester.

I participated in his funeral in Fitchburg, MA and also led the prayers at the burial of his remains in Bristol, Rhode Island.

And when Kitty died I shared in her Requiem Eucharist in Westborough, MA.

I stay in touch with two of their three children, Dain and Tinka.

And I get happy/teary goose bumps whenever I think of Kitty and DeWolf.

=====================================================

The Perry family descend from the DeWolfs of Bristol, Rhode Island, the wealthiest of the northern slave traders.

See http://www.tracesofthetrade.org/index.html for details of how this modern family is coming to terms with its history.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"