Morning glory


Most mornings I walk for between 45 minutes and an hour. I do this even when I do not want to!

These recent mornings have been wonderful for walking. Night time temperatures have fallen to about 55 F. So the mornings have been relatively “crisp” and a sweat shirt and pants have been the uniform for the morning.


We are having some lovely misty mornings as the many local ponds give off their heat.

This morning I walked alongside the huge (45-hole) “Bobby Jones Golf Complex” and the misty scene (apart from a few palms) could easily have been one from the Somerset levels.

(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_Levels )


It is so flat here, just like that flat land in western Somerset, England. There are no great vistas, and I believe that’s why I have become much more aware of the sky.

Sarasota is not in a great conurbation, so the stars show very brightly.

Since our skies are often cloudless I have become very aware of stars in these darker mornings, and also of sister moon. I have learned to look up, not out.

I meet many “regulars” on my morning walks. One woman walk with a big old brown/black dog named “Rio”. Rio is a shy and nervous beast, and as I approach he puts his head down as if to say “I am very humble”. I bend over and place my head next to his, and we snuggle each other. If he were a cat he would purr.

A couple walks with their two recovering Greyhounds, “Grudge” and “Babe”. They, like most Greyhounds are “softies”. They are delighted when I fuss over them.

“Archie” is a grouchy dog. His owner named him “Archie” after “Archie Bunker” whose personality he shares.

I am more respectful and call this dog “Mr. Bunker”. He no longer barks at me, but we are not yet “friends”.

I also encounter people with whom I exchange friendly greetings. I am never sure of their names (it’s more important to know the dogs’ names!).

There is Mr. and Mrs. Pickle-Face (that what I call them). The man is tall and gaunt and looks as if (as Dorothy Parker’s hairdresser said of Calvin Coolidge) “he was weaned on a pickle”. They are delightful folks, snow-birds from West Virginia, who walk for five miles each morning.

I see Mr. and Mrs. Chapeau (my name for them). They each have cheery countenances, and wear wonderful hats. I greet them with a hearty “Bonjour Monsieur et Madame Chapeau”, and they grin from ear to ear.


Finally there is the man whom I greet as “Mr. Good Neighbour”. He walks the length of his street at 6:00 a.m. and carries his neighbours’ newspaper from the end of their long driveways to their front doors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"