My first flight

My first flight took place when I was about 25 years old. I flew on the old British European Airways (BEA) from Southampton UK, to Jersey in the Channel Islands.

It was on a propeller plane (probably an old Dakota). The flight was for somewhere between 45 and 60 minutes.

I tried to be very cool, and carried my boarding pass in my shirt pocket, as did all the frequent flyers in those days.

Cool though I tried to be, I was so thrilled!

Now, flying is a bore. It’s so tiresome and uncomfortable. ( I recently took 6 flights in 13 days).
Nonetheless I plan to fly to England in May to visit with my family, and to celebrate my 65th
birthday.

I cannot swim well, and ocean voyages are too expensive. So there is no other way to get to England, and home again.

But I am wistful for those days when flying was an adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"