My lusts


I have been lusting after a plate of fresh Fava Beans (a.k.a. Broad Beans) for three or four weeks.

What are Fava/Broad  beans?    See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicia_faba
I used to buy them frozen at the “Market Basket” in Somerville, MA.  But these good beans get a bit tough when frozen.
Fava Beans are readily available here in Florida, but only in the canned/tinned version, marketed by  “Progresso”.  They are “O.K.”  (Only in the same way that any canned/tinned veggies are adequate but not great).
Dammit:  I want fresh broad beans.  I want these beans right from their preposterously huge pods.
I've  tried every farmer’s market within range.  But none of them grew Broad/Fava beans.  Some of these markets had never even heard of them.
BUT ...   I was at my local “Publix” supermarket this morning.  “Publix” has a near monopoly throughout Florida, so I try to avoid shopping with them, and do my best to patronise their puny rivals (Sweet Bay and Winn Dixie).
Nonetheless I shop at Publix from time to time, especially for their store brand canned cat food which Ada and Adelaide scoff down with wild abandon!
Thus it was that I was in a Publix Store this morning.  I bought the cat food, and then went searching for some cucumbers.
In that search my eyes alighted upon fresh Fava/Broad beans at the iniquitous price of $2.69 per pound.
I bought 2lbs.  This was partly to satisfy my longing, and partly to encourage Publix to continue to stock them, and other “less than mainstream” veggies and legumes.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"