D.I.Y. - and unintended consequences. (Or "leave well alone).


The cooler morning temperature today led me to use a bit of necessary spackle near the threshold of my house's  Lanai.  The vinyl spackle which I used has set well. In a day or two I will paint over it.

Emboldened by this D.I.Y. success I decided to tackle another project. 

I have twin kitchen sinks, neither of which has been draining very well. I figured that there might be blockages in their “U” pipes. 

It was easy enough to unscrew the collars on the plastic pipes, and yes indeed, I found a lot of gunk at the base of the U’s, which I was able to clean out. 

I thought “so far so good”.

Then I decided to clean out the outlet pipe which leads from the two U’s into the sewer.  I discovered that this pipe was filled with greasy and gooey "gunk"  -  far more than I could extract.  ‘Twas time for a plumber! 

The plumber arrived in less than an hour after my ‘phone call, (read that again and believe it!).   

He “machined” the outlet pipe and pulled out a ton of the greasy/gooey mess.

I thought “so far so good”.  

The pipe goes through a wall into the laundry room, where it is linked with the drain pipe from the washing machine. 

There is a nice bit of copper pipe just before this link.  It was a bit corroded.

 After the machining/reaming out of the "gunk", this copper pipe started to leak out very many pints of waste water, through a hole of about ¾” in diameter.  

That hole had been effectively sealed by the greasy/gooey “gunk”.  Once that "gunk" was removed, the corroded copper pipe “let loose” (so to speak)!

The good plumber replaced that bit of corroded pipe.  I handed over a check/cheque for $ 311.

My question for you is: “would I have saved that $311 had I not started the day in a D.I.Y/ mood?”

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"