It's a small world



My Cambridge friend Sarah F encouraged me to get together with Philbert Kalisa, an Anglican Priest from Rwanda who had recently been a guest in her home.

Philbert has a ministry of reconciliation between Hutus and Tutsis in his home land.  He is in Sarasota to visit  family members who live here.

So he and I had lunch together today.  It was a delightful encounter.

As we talked we found many connections.

*  He did post ordination training at Trinity (Theological) College in Bristol U.K., my home City.

* When in  Bristol he spearheaded outreach ministries at Christ Church, Clifton  -- the very parish which I attended in my early Anglican days.  Christ Church was where I was confirmed, and was the parish which set me on the path to ordination.

He and I both remember the Revd. Paul Berg who was the Vicar of Christ Church when I was a Theological Student.  Philbert served at Christ Church after my time there, so our paths never crossed

 Philbert is well acquainted  with my friends and colleagues:- Bishops Ian Douglas  (Connecticut) and Mark Hollingsworth (Ohio), as well as with my good friend Steve Bonsey, Steve's wife Elisabeth Keller and their children Noah, Sam, Josiah and Annie. 

Such a small and delightful Anglican world.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 


I'll be off to Atlanta early on Saturday 26th (my 74th Birthday) to spend some time with my friends Steve (Fitchburg 1976) and his partner Rick; and also with Susan (Pittsfield 1984) and her partner Lisa.

It will be good to see them.

I will fly back to Sarasota on Monday.

Chris S a wonderful  dog and house sitter will take great care of my dog, but I am already wondering how I will be able to survive for 48 hours sans Zion!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"