Well contented and utterly grateful


I flew from SRQ to ATL on Saturday 26th, returning on Monday 28th.

My good neighbour Barbara B drove me to SRQ on Saturday, and met me there today.

Despite my worries about sub-tropical storm Alberto my flights were on time.  We even got back to SRQ early today.

The very excellent Chris S stayed in my home and took care of Zion.  Chris is a superb house/pet sitter. His prices are very reasonable.

I wanted to be in Atlanta (actually Roswell) to spend some time with a dear friend Steve C.  I knew and loved  his mother and grandmother from when we met in Fitchburg MA  (1976-80).  By then Steve had already flown the nest, but since 2006 Steve, his partner Rick,  and I have grown a friendship.

Dear Steve's daughter Amanda died in April of this year at the too young age of 42, leaving a husband and three daughters.   I could not be at the funeral so I went to Roswell to listen to Steve and Rick, and to honour their grief.


And now that daughter has died.   Beloved Steve and good Rick talked a lot about their grief.  I listened as well as I could, and responded as well as I could - not with "answers" but with the best truthful understanding which I could muster, and with my own lachrymose eyes.

Saturday May 26th was also my 74th birthday.  Rick and Steve made sure that I celebrated it in style.

They took me to dinner at one of Roswell's "very best" 
 https://www.bistrovgroswell.com  together with their midtown Atlanta friends, another Steve,  and Terry, both of  whom I had met before.

It was a jolly party with great food.  I opted for trout, served over a bed of multi-coloured carrots. It was one of the best restaurant meals ever!   I made sure that that Bistro V's manager reported my deep compliments to the Chef.





Rick and Steve with me at Bistro V


Dessert, a birthday cake for me, was served back at Steve and Rick's home.




This chocolate birthday cake had been made and baked by Rick.  I had to confess that I have a strong dislike for chocolate cake.  Ne'er mind.  Others scoffed it down and Rick was wonderfully gracious about this

But wait, there is more!  On Sunday morning I had breakfast with Susan H.   I have known her since she was a High School student in Pittsfield MA. She now lives in Lawrenceville GA.  It was so good to see her again.




















Here we are after breakfast

Rick and Steve offered me two birthday gifts.



Ho hum for this anti-monarchist! 


And this wall plaque  created by Rick.  Oh wow!   Septuagenarians don't expect birthday gifts.  This one, an expression of love and care, made me grin from ear to ear. 




My beloved Zion!


But please do not tell Zion that I cheated on him.

For Steve and Rick have a super Spitshusky named Josie.


She is as utterly sweet as is my Zion.  

Back in Sarasota with a grateful heart I was reunited with Zion.  There was an abundance of whooping and hollering, dancing and prancing.  And that was just me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"