What do we see?

How broad, deep and wide is your vision?

Is it no greater than what you see on a screen?

iPhone

iPad

40" flat screen T.V.

Mercy me, these screens give us one dimensional sight in a multi-dimensional world.  The screens are dangerously alluring as they seduce us and demand our immediate attention.

Regular readers know that I am not a T.V. addict.  My set is about 20 years old, it does not dominate my room.

But place me somewhere which has a big T.V. on the wall (e.g. a Doctor's Office)  and my eyes and attention are inexorably seduced by the flickering light.

I use my smart phone to make smart phone calls, and not much else.

But I have become a near addict to the seductions of my lap top and my i Pad.

I am not addicted enough to abandon the larger sights of life as I walk (sans electronics) in the Park and with my dog. There my sight is so much wider, deeper and broader.  In the park I see, and smell and even taste a smattering of what we call nature,

In the Park I can greet other walkers with a smile and get a good response (or not).

My vision is broader in the outdoors. It's great. Thirty minutes in a Park is richer  than the  ninety minutes of a Travel video.

BUT I am still in danger.  My semi addiction to my lap top screen is changing my brain.

I believe this to be so 'cause as I drift off to sleep, my early dreams appear as a web page.  In my sleep I try to scroll up or down,  without success. 

Has the computer screen "model" gotten into my mind and changed it ?

Should I/you have deep concerns about the two and three year olds who,  having been weaned by a screen, will grow up to become  one dimensional adults?














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"