A TALE OF TWO TABLES: Sublime and Mundane

 SUBLIME


British people of my generation  (b.1944) never ate Rabbit meat (which had been a staple for rural and poor city folks for many years).

We did not eat it because the U.K. rabbit population had been all but destroyed by a horrible disease called Myxomatosis which had been imported by British Farmers (or so the story goes).

My first close up  encounter in with rabbit meat was in the 1980's

when I was  in Ravenna, Italy visiting my Palestinian/Italian friends, alongside my American friend Joe . Our host  (Hani) announced  "We have Rabbit as a special treat for dinner tonight" Joe and I were not inclined to think of Rabbit meat as a "special treat" !

I did not eat Rabbit meat again until a couple of months ago when I dined with friends at the fabulous Sarasota restaurant MeLange.  There I savoured Rabbit Tacos, a special treat indeed.


My friend Barbara F.C whose daughter Lan is a co-owner of MeLange describes them thus:

You know you're craving these little cuties!!!
Chef Lan's Rabbit Tacos are Legen-WAIT FOR IT-DAiRY!
Crispy, Crunchy, Savory and a touch of sweetness. All we can say... yum!
So come in tonight and satisfy your cravings! Only Melange will do.

Barbara is right!

MUNDANE

Those who know me well will remember that the "specialty of my Table" is a meal with leftovers.  Here is my most recent offering


Leftover potatoes, mushrooms, red peppers, bits of celery and German made Bratwurst, heated up in coconut milk. Not a special treat, but pretty darn good,



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"