Three cheers for the United Kingdom.


On May 7th I posted my article about the British General Election.  My good cousin Christopher commented that I had a better understanding of the British Political system than many U.K. citizens.  I took that as a great compliment since, although British born and bred I left my native land in 1976, and became a U.S. citizen in 1984.

Now I venture to write that today’s resolution of the British  “hung parliament issue” is superb.

Those of you who know me well will understand that, “politically speaking”, I am less than enthusiastic with the news that David Cameron ( C ) is the new Premier in the United Kingdom.

Nevertheless although Cameron’s Tories did not win a parliamentary majority, they won the most votes, and the greatest number of seats in the House of Commons  so “constitutionally thinking” I admire and respect this resolution.

So I pay tribute to the U.K. system.  The transfer of authority in the U.K. took place:
without a Supreme Court ruling (as in the U.S.A. in 2000);
without the intervention of Armed Forces;
without street violence;
without sectarian, religious or nationalistic divisions;
without any “rulings” from the European union;

Gordon Brown resigned with dignity.  David Cameron assumed office with integrity.  

 I think that my native peoples have a lesson or two for the world.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"