Nobody knows the trouble I see

On Wednesdays each week I facilitate a prayer service for some of the homeless people who arrive at “Resurrection House” - a day shelter in Sarasota.


I never preach. Instead I lead my homeless friends in a silent meditation on scripture. Then I encourage us to express our own prayers - silently or aloud.  This we do as we light a tea-light, or a candle.


For reasons which care “beyond my ken” I broke from my own precedent today.  I asked the six strong congregation to join me in song.  


We sang “Nobody knows the trouble I see”.  As we sang, so the tears ran down the face of a young man who’d joined our tiny congregation. 


He needed to weep.   Our song had touched a place deep within him.  I responded to his tears with a firm but safe hug.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"