SEINFELD?

Hi Pals

I had minor elective surgery yesterday.  'Twas nothing life threatening.  Rather it was a wee bit of surgery to make me more comfortable.

Ted Copland (my former Rector at St. Boniface Church, Siesta Key FL, and current friend and mentor) drove me to the clinic for the day surgery, hung around for much longer than we had bargained, then drove me home via the Pharmacy, where we left a couple of post-op prescriptions.

Thanks so much Ted.

This morning I got calls from three of my clerical colleagues, (Andi Taylor, Wes Wasdyke, and the aforementioned Ted)  just to make sure that I was alright.

This morning my dear friends Ron and Char Thompson  stopped by with a care package (including Char's famous 'healing chicken soup',  and a can of sardines)  - they know how much I like these little fish!.

All this care after a non-invasive, non-life threatening, and "snippy" bit of surgery.

 I should be so lucky. 

Why am I so blessed with such good friends?

I can only respond with gratitude.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The staff at Sarasota's Coastal Medical Center could not have been more gracious and professional. Kudos to them.

AND THERE WAS HUMOUR.

(1) There was a bit of confusion when they wondered if I was John Povey, or Michael Povey.

I explained that I am John M Povey for Social Security/Medicare  protocols, but that I prefer to be called Michael.

I said to the nurse  "sometimes I am John, and sometimes I am Michael".

She responded (with a twinkle in her eyes):  "Is that what the voices in your head tell you?"

I replied, with a grin: "Oh no, the voices in my head tell me that I am Rosamund".

She, I, and the other staff within hearing distance broke into silly laughter.

(2) At first  it was not so funny when the Surgeon and Anaesthetist at Coastal realised that they were running short of oxygen,  meaning that another patient and I were left hanging.

(From what I understand, the supplier of tanked oxygen had failed to make a delivery the day before).

So the other patient and I waited patiently (?), pending the arrival of emergency oxygen

After about 45 minutes I began to see the humour.

One by one, or  two by two,  the Surgeon, the Anaesthetist, and all other staff members would look out of  the window, willing (so to speak) that by looking out of the window the oxygen truck would arrive sooner rather than later.

The surgeon passed my bed,  I said  "I find this to be very amusing" .  He replied "is it funny?" 

"Yes" I said. 

He got it, and responded "well I guess that it is funny in a Seinfeldian way".

Whoop-de-doo  what was happening was worthy of a Seinfeld episode.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end I had my surgery, delayed as it was,  Ted C drove me home,  I slept well, I have no pain, and I am en route to recovery with minimal discomfort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"