Oh Such Joy!

 


Michael Vono and I entered the (Episcopal) Diocese of Western Massachusetts at about the same time in 1976/77.

He was the Curate at All Saints' Church in Worcester, MA.  I was the Priest in Charge at the Church of the Good Shepherd in Fitchburg, MA

We soon became good friends; the two Michaels:   sometimes known as Vicar Vono and Parson Povey.

After a spell as Rector at Christ Church, Rochdale, MA Michael Vono was called to be the Rector at the Episcopal Church of St. Paul's within the Walls in Rome, Italy.  I visited him there thrice, and preached at St. Paul's twice.

In 1999 he and I had  a splendid holiday in Greece.

Michael Vono's ministry at St. Paul's within the Walls (1992-2010) was in a word:  "spectacular".

Then he was elected to be the Bishop of the Episcopal Church Diocese of the Rio Grande (New Mexico and West Texas).

He and I lost contact not for any ill will, but because  I knew that Bishop Vono had very little free time as he served this geographically huge  Diocese.

Now that he has retired, my friend and fellow Priest Michael Vono and I reconnected via Face Time last evening.

What a joy!  What a blessing! What a sign and symbol of amazing grace!


As someone (maybe George Elliot) wrote:


"Oh the comfort, the inexpressible comfort

of feeling safe with a person.

Having never to weigh thoughts, nor measure words, 

but pour them all out; chaff and grain together.

Knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them;

Keep what is worth keeping,

And then, with the breath of kindness, blow the rest away"

My friend, the Rt. Revd Michael Vono is that kind of friend.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"