Limits of Technology 1: Petrol/Gas in Florida.


Florida 12th May 2021


Yes the lines for Petrol/Gas are long in Florida; due to the Ransomware attack on a major gas/petrol pipeline.

Hi-Tech has brought us many good things; but it has its down sides,  Isn't it shocking that one of the most important pipelines in the U.S.A should be so at risk from bad actors.  And why in heaven's name are the important refineries are situated on the flood plains of the Gulf of Mexico coast; bringing with them air pollution and water pollution, at ever at risk from hurricanes,

There is nothing I can do about the technology (and I cannot afford an all electric car)

I should be able to resist anxiety but to my shame I drove out at 5:00 a.m. yesterday (12th May) and filled my tank at a local BP gas station - having passed two gas stations which were already sold out.

Now I am doing my best to eke out what gas I have to make it last until supplies are more abundant (the pipeline is operating again, so that will be soon).

There is a good side.  I am planning my journeys carefully (Trader Joe's, Walgreens and Arlington Park in one journey yesterday); and I am  resisting the temptation to shop on impulse  (if I don't have it I probably don't need it).

P.S.  We have public transportation in Sarasota County, but it's not much help,  For instance a journey to Trader Joe's (a twenty minute drive) would necessitate taking two 'buses, with a long wait at the downtown 'bus transfer station.

Let's hope that I will keep up this good practice when the "crisis" is over.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"