Nanny Povey My paternal grandmother born on May 19th


 The only grandparent I knew.

Her husband, my paternal grandfather died in 1939 as a result of a road accident.

My maternal grandmother died when I was six months old.  My maternal grandfather when I was two or so years old.

Nanny Povey (nee Bennett) had a tough life. In later years she lived close to the breadline so to speak.

I have many memories of her;  here are three.

The first has more to do with me than her.  She was named Sarah Povey, but was known as Sally.  This young kid was so confused about this - not knowing that Sarahs are often called Sally. So I thought that she was Sarah Sally Povey!

Second she told me that she saw Queen Victoria. Nanny told me that she was lined up with other school children to view the progress of the royal carriage. She and her class mates were given a shiny new penny and a sticky bun to mark the occasion.

Vickie's visit was in 1899.  The website "Weird Bristol" states that the curtains in the royal carriage were never opened.  ( Victoria was having a bad day!).  The lore is that VR knighted the then Lord Mayor of Bristol from within her be-curtained carriage.

So maybe Nanny did not see the Queen, but nonetheless waved her Union Flag as the horse drawn carriage passed by.

Third  (and this is delicious!).  Nanny told me that when she was a child she went for a country walk. Needing to pee she hitched up her skirt and pulled down her knickers.  She crouched to take care of business, and her bum landed on a growth of stinging nettles.

Now there's a cherished memory of my dear Nanny!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"