Does the Moral Arc of the Universe Bend Towards Justice? I DOUBT IT


The words were first penned by Theodore Parker (Unitarian Minister) 1810 -1860)

I do not pretend to understand the moral universe; the arc is a long one, my eye reaches but little ways; I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. And from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice.  


Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr used all or some of Parker's words in some of his speeches. 

But contrary to many attributions,  he did not pen them 

They are fine words.

At best they are a pious hope.

At worst they are an excuse for inaction, if the bending towards justice is inevitable. 


SELMA 1965



TWIN CITIES  2020


NO DISCERNABLE BEND in 65 YEARS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Martin Luther King Day 2022 is a call to action, not to pious hopes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"