My Three Minutes with Archbishop Desmond Tutu (Unforgettable)

Yesterday on this Blog and on Facebook I reported on the visit of Archbishop Tutu to my Dentist in Cambridge, MA.


See this  https://jmichaelpovey-retiredpoveinsarasota.blogspot.com/2021/12/when-archbishop-tutu-met-my-dentist-1.html


Whilst Archbishop Desmond and his wife Leah were at the Episcopal Divinity  School I had occasion to be there to have lunch with my friend and colleague the Revd. Andrew McGowan.

He was then a Priest Associate at St. James's Cambridge, MA where I was the Rector.  More importantly he was the Associate Professor of Early Christian History at E.D.S.

As Andrew and I shared lunch, Archbishop Tutu wandered into the Refectory.

"Andrew", I said, "would it be gauche of me to ask you to introduce me to the Archbishop?"

No sooner said than done, Andrew introduced me to the Archbishop. 

I was not there for small talk. I was there for blessing.  Just as Elisha asked that some of Elijah's spirit would be given to him, so I dared to hope that I would receive a portion of his spirit from the great and courageous Archbishop.

I dropped to my knees in the Refectory.  Archbishop Tutu placed his holy hands on my head and pronounced a blessing.

I stood up.  Now I get to the teary eyed bit.  No sooner was I on my feet than Bishop Tutu knelt down, and asked me to bless him in God's name.

OH MY GOODNESS.  I am weeping even as I write this blog. Who can imagine the spiritual power of a blessing at the holy hands of Archbishop Tutu;  and his request for my words of blessing.

Gotta stop now.  I can scarcely see my computer keys through my tears.  For sure.

This simple coffin for Desmond Tutu's funeral illustrates the power of his genuine humility.

 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"