My Tenuous Rhode Island Connections (and two of their Episcopal Bishops)

 


The Episcopal Church in Bristol, Rhode Island is St. Michael's.  In my more whimsical moods I thought that I was a natural to become their Rector.  "Michael from Bristol, U.K. at St. Michael's Bristol, R.I.  What fun.

Except that I would need to hide one of my wee possessions in the event of long institutional memories in Bristol, R.I.



Gift from the Perry Family.

It would not look good on the mantlepiece of the Rectory!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Perry Family (and their R.I Bishop)


The Perrys  have long and historic roots in Rhode Island.

One of the Perry family was James DeWolf Perry.  He was the (Episcopal) Bishop of  Rhode Island from 1911-1946 (back in the day when Bishops served long terms).

Bishop Perry was also the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church from 1930 -1937 - in those good days when Presiding  Bishops were also Diocesan Bishops.

One of the sons of Bishop Perry and his wife Edith* was DeWolf Perry  (he dropped the James) .    DeWolf Perry was also an Episcopal  Priest.  He became my chief mentor, father in God, and friend from 1976 until his death.  I adored his wife "Kitty".

As a young man DeWolf  spent some time in France.  He returned with a gift for his parents.


He inherited the gift from his parents' estate.  Much later he gave it to me.

* older Episcopalians will remember the essential Altar Guild primer which she wrote. It could be found in just about every Sacristy.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Bishop Higgins.

John Seville Higgins (a Londoner by birth) was also the Bishop of Rhode Island (1953/54 as Co-adjutor) and 1955-1972 as Diocesan. 

He had retired by the time I came to the U,S.A, but I would see him from time to time at Episcopal Church events in New England (often in his customary titfer - a beret).

When I served at St. James's Church in Cambridge MA there was a parishioner names John Higgins.  Without aforethought or knowledge I once said to him "I knew a wonderful Bishop with your name".  He gave a shy smile and said  "he was my father". 

A bit later on he gave me this


A scarf which had belonged to Bishop Higgins.


So here I am in Sarasota with a Candlestick which had belonged R.I. Bishop Perry,  and a Scarf which had belonged to Bishop Higgins.   Yet I had never served in the Diocese of R.I.  Makes me smile!


I dare to wonder if the Diocese of R.I.  would care to own these historic artifacts.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"