Gustatory double-dipping on 1st March 2022

 By happenstance March 1st 2022 is Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) - a moveable event which depends on the date of Easter and St. David's Day (which is always March 1st).

Be it Shrove Tuesday or St. David's Day there are traditional foods.


SHROVE TUESDAY  (commonly know in Britain and in British Commonwealth Countries as "Pancake Day")  is a day to feast on Pancakes.  They are not your common or garden American Pancakes which have to be triply immersed in fake maple syrup to make them marginally edible.  

Rather they are the far superior CREPES - the real thing.  My mother made pancakes, not knowing that they were Crepes.

With that in mind I had breakfast today in a new Sarasota Cafe which specializes in Crepes.   I was there with my friends Donna Chrisman and Ashley Lloyd.

Much to the confusion of the cook I ordered a naked Crepe, i.e. one with no filling  or side dish.


In the English style I sprinkled it with sugar, and sprayed it with fresh lemon juice; then rolled it up to eat.

The café staff  were amused and confused.  I was well satisfied.


St. David's Day.

David is the Patron Saint of Wales.

The national plant of Wales is the leek.  It is hard to wear a leek as a boutonniere, so many Welsh people substitute a Daffodil. I chose to honour my Welsh friends and their heritage with my dinner.






A roasted leek wrapped in prosciutto, with spicy plum chutney.

                               Oh so good! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"