Resisting isolation

I often have to “force myself” to leave my home.  You see, I am perfectly contented to be alone at home with my books, my dog, and my cats. 

Yet I understand that this can be dangerous. 

All alone I can get in to stinking thinking, which will lead me to a modicum of self pity, and to more than a trace of misanthropic thinking.

Thus it was today. I took myself to the 8:00 a.m. Eucharist at my parish Church where I was slated to assist our fabulous assistant rector, the Revd. Andrea Taylor.

That being done I wanted to spend the balance of the day alone.  

But I had promised to meet a good friend for lunch up in Tampa, where he lives.

My “isolationist” tendency came into full force. I thought of a thousand and one reasons why the 55 mile drive to Tampa would be impossible.  I was sorely tempted to call my pal and to re-schedule our lunch.

But, home from Church, and after a nap I decided that I would resist all the temptations to isolate. 

So I went to Tampa.  I met my good friend. (Sadly his girl-friend could not join us).

Over lunch I rejoiced in his wisdom, his knowledge, and his integrity.

He knows very much about the Arab world and about Islam. I was therefore privileged to soak up his wisdom and knowledge.

It was a fabulous encounter.  So now I am pleased that I resisted the “easy way” of staying alone at home.

I always do better when I move from isolation into community.

P.S.   This young friend is the oldest child of my colleague from Cambridge MA days:- the Revd. Steve Bons-y, and of Steve’s incredibly wise wife Elisabeth K-ller.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"