Of Parsnips and Cauliflower


Covid 19 days have pushed me into a cooking spree.  

So today I roasted some Parsnips; and prepared and cooked Cauliflower Cheese.  


Some for me, and some for an older friend who is on double lock down-  partly because of the virus; and partly because she took a tumble and broke her left wrist.





Roasted Parsnips.
  I ate those which were overcooked  ( I am a man who will eat burned toast!) and gave the good ones to my friend.


And the celebrated (by me!)  Cauliflower Cheese.

Until about six years ago I had never heard the word roux, let alone knowing what it was.

I made one yesterday, using my mother's tried and tested cooking method -  to guess the amount and proportion of the ingredients, in this case flour and butter.  No recipe book for me sir!

I added some milk, and as it thickened, tossed in some store bought grated cheese  (sharp cheddar).   There was also a secret ingredient -  little pieces of crispy bacon.

My broken wristed friend e-mailed me last evening.  She used the word scrumptious!


































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"