The Learning Curve in My 77th year

 



Sinclair Gas/Petrol  Can  (Is Sinclair is now out of business?)



The Sinclair Electric Trike 1985; a a bold but unsuccessful innovation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------


But what about  Sinclair (as a first or last name)?

Thanks to my Face Book friend the Revd. Mark De C.  I learned that it is derived from Saint Claire  of Assisi  the friend and co-worker of St. Francis of Assisi. 

I'd never before made that connection.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It makes sense.

For instance,  in my evangelical background there was a  revered  Elder  with the name Harold St. John.  We evangelicals all knew  that his last name was pronounced Singin, rather than Saint John.


And when I moved to be the Rector at St. James's in Cambridge, MA (2000)  the Senior Warden's name was St. John Smith.

I knew well enough to call him Singin, rather than Saint  John.


Contrary wise, in Chicopee we had  a parishioner whose last name was St. John,  She was always known as Mrs. Saint John.


So there you have it! Who would have that the name Sinclair had saintly roots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"