Longings for beauty in New England (and in my homeland of England).

Just before the election; in a grumpy mood because of Florida's retrogressive politics; and our flat, dull and boring landscapes.  I ventured to my friends John and Rick that, (if I could afford  it), I'd return to New England. 

Even our Florida cemeteries are flat and  dull, designed for utility and not for beauty.

In New England, the politics are half-way decent (with Massachusetts and New Hampshire having pretty good Republican Governors).

New England landscapes can be stunning.  I know because  I lived in the beautiful Western Massachusetts Berkshire Hills for sixteen years

Even the cemeteries, and hilly graveyards in New England have a beauty all their own.

John and Rick reminded me that it can be bone-chillingly cold "up north" in winter.  'Tis true.  But y'know, the homes have central heating; and the auto's have efficient heaters!

What I miss most are the four seasons.  

If Vivaldi had lived in Florida he'd have been compelled to write "the one minus twenty days season"!

No autumn here.  I miss the beauty,  It has no price tag.

Early snow in Ludlow, Vermont (via Bruce L)



Old England not New England. Misty autumnal day near Salisbury, Wiltshire.  (photo via "Pictures of British Life" web group).



Autumn beauty at the Mt. Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge/Watertown MA   (Photo' by Tim Lindgren, used with his permission.)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"