Scintillating Scotoma - my eyesight issue on 2nd March 2021

Scintillating Scotoma: That's the fancy name for what happened to me after my first Moderna Covid 19 vaccination on 2nd March 2021


Stock photo'

I call it the jagged halo effect.  

It's a form of migraine -  the less fancy name is Ocular Migraine. 

One of the possible side effects of the Moderna Vaccine is headache; which can lead to migraine.

I learned this today after an appointment and thorough examination with an Optometrist. 

Phew.  What I experienced is one of those "this too shall pass" conditions. I can expect/anticipate a similar condition following my Moderna Vacc #2 on 30th March.  

The good news is this.

There are no signs of macular degeneration or glaucoma. I do have "mild" cataracts,  but this has been the case for a number of years and I am very far from needing  cataract surgery. 

Oh lucky man!

But the Scintillating Scotoma effect did bother me, and I am glad that I had my eyes checked today.

Thanks to my wonderful Eye/Med insurance via the Episcopal Church Pension scheme  I paid the princely sum of $38 for today's consultation and examination. Oh lucky man again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.  I had vicious migraine headaches until I reached  my mid-twenties.  I remember driving to Bristol (my home town) from London; and being so afflicted  that I broke my journey in the city of Reading, Berkshire. and checked in to the Reading General Hospital for R&R before resuming my journey.

Migraine headaches are just about unbearable.  Ocular migraines are a bearable nuisance 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"