8oz, or Half a pound? Fun with the Fishmonger.

 

 

8 oz brass weight.  Remember these?


Yesterday (26th June 2021) I was at the fish counter at Detwiler's Market.

I decided to be silly.   Who me?  Being silly?  Hard to believe eh!

I asked the young fishmonger to cut me half a pound of cod. I added "if you can't make it exactly half a pound then eight ounces will do"

He gave me a quizzical look and said "but isn't eight ounces the same as half a pound?"   Then he saw the silly grin on my face.  I told him that I was just making sure that he was fully awake.

He went on to tell me that I'd probably never believe the dumb questions he is asked, so he wasn't quite sure about mine.  We both enjoyed a moment of laughter.

A few minutes later as I stood in the check out line.  I felt a tap on my shoulder.   It was the fishmonger.

He said  "thank you very much. It's customers like you who make my day".

We exchanged fist bumps and big smiles.

After that I may well be silly again one day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"