Winter Saturday Lunches in my Home: 1950's and !960's

One wage earning father.

One over worked and always tired mother.

Nine children.

Mum knew how to feed us at minimal cost. Both budgeting and cooking were hard labour.

On some Saturdays it was beef or lamb stew; with doughboys (a.k.a. dumplings) filling the carb-gap.

On other Saturdays Mum would make a meat pie; to be eaten with  boiled potatoes, veggies and gravy.

Her pies were so good,  (even though I  did not wish my portion of meat pie to be assailed by gravy).

Mum would therefore place my portion of  meat pie onto  a separate plate (sans gravy) .  God bless ye Mum!  ( I know people who get weak kneed if the various foods on their dinner plate are touching each other)

I  made a meat pie yesterday, some for me,  and some to share. That's  my Saturday practice) 

It will do.  But it's not a patch on Mum's.



Hard to get an even browning of the crust, but who cares when they are enjoying the pie!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"