"My Cat Jeoffrey " The Gorgeous Mystikal Poetry of CHRISTOPHER SMART




T.S. Elliot's poetry often springs out of his High Church Anglican religious convictions.  

To quote a verse from Psalm 131 Elliot's work often bears "things too wonderful for me".

It is not readily accessible to me in the manner of  (say ) the poems of Wordswoth.  

For instance I read Wordsworth's  "Composed upon Westminster Bridge, September 3, 1802"  and "get it" right way.

It is not so with Elliot's works. Even his well loved and recited  Prufrock has deep levels of meaning.  

What is his twice repeated "In the room the women come and go Talking of Michelangelo" all about?  It's only in recent weeks that I've hit upon its meaning  -  at least I think so!

I usually post Elliot's "The  Journey of the Magi" on the Feast of the Epiphany. I forgot to do so this year. It's about as uncomplicated as Elliot gets!

https://www.poetryinvoice.com/poems/journey-magi

Here it is as read by T.S.E. himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCVnuEWXQcg


A less well known or appreciated poet is Christopher Smart (1722-1771).  He was widely admired in his day, but he has fallen out of fashion.


Feline lovers will know him because of his words about  his cat Jeoffrey 



"For I will consider my Cat Jeoffry.

For he is the servant of the Living God duly and daily serving him.
For at the first glance of the glory of God in the East he worships in his way.

For this is done by wreathing his body seven times round with elegant quickness."


They are part of his long, dense, and almost impenetrable work "Jubilate Agno". It goes on and on!  Most sources include only about a third of the original.

You can find that third here.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45173/jubilate-agno


Some of Smart's text was used by Benjamin Britten in his "Rejoice in the Lamb".


Forty or more years ago I was fortunate enough to hear a live performance of "Rejoice in the Lamb" at All Saints' Episcopal Church, Worcester, MA.  'Twas unforgettable.

But wait there is more!

The Episcopal Church Hymnal 1982 includes three hymns by Christopher  Smart.  They are rarely sung (unless I am the Priest who chooses the hymns!)

More about them tomorrow,












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"