The Wisdom of Rebbe Nachman of Breslov (Bratislava)


r






Rebbe Nachman of Breslov 1772- 1810.


I am learning about Rebbe Nachman from a Zoom/Facebook "meeting" led by my good friend Rabbi Michael Shefrin of Sarasota's Temple Emman-uel.

Nachman was an early proponent  of Hassidic Judaism. Roughly speaking Haddism stresses the experience personal relationship with G-d;  as a necessary partner of Torah Study.

The teachings of Rebbe Nachman are remarkably wonderful in their anticipation of modern theology/psychology.  Here are three passages which I lifted from Rabbi Shefrin's  presentation 

OUTPOURING OF THE SOUL Sichot HaRan 7
It is very good to pour out your thoughts before God like a child pleading before his father. God calls us His children, as it is written, "You are children to the Lord your God" (Deut. 14:1). Therefore it is good to express your thoughts and troubles to God, like a child complaining and pestering his father. How very good it is when you can awaken your heart and plead until tears stream from your eyes, and you stand like a little child crying before his father. A confusing thought may enter your mind, but if you stand firm, God will send you another thought to encourage you.

​ NATURE Likutei T'fillot There is a story of a rabbi whose child used to wander off to spend time alone in a forest. Concerned and curious, one day the rabbi pulled his boy aside to ask him what he was doing. "I go to the forest to find God," said the boy. "That's wonderful," replied his father. "But you need not go to the forest to find God. Don't you know that God is the same everywhere?" "God is," the boy answered, "but I'm not." 

Likutei Tefillah, 2:11 Master of the Universe, grant me the ability to be alone; May it be my custom to go outdoors each day Among the trees and grass - among all growing things And there may I be alone, and enter into prayer, to talk with the One to whom I belong. May I express there everything in my heart, And may all the foliage of the field - all grasses trees and plants - Awake at my coming, to send the powers of their life into the words of my prayer So that my prayer and speech are made whole Through the life and spirit of all growing things, Which are made as one by their transcendent Source. May I then pour out the words of my heart before your Presence like water, O Lord, And lift up my hands to You in worship, on my behalf, and that of my children!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"