Monday, 29 August 2016

With tender and grateful memories of a great woman

"Our Mum".  a great and gracious woman died on this date, fifteen years ago (at aged 89 years).

I have been thinking about her all day, with deep appreciation, immense respect, and great love.

I know that my sibs and their offspring think the same.


Oh my beautiful Mummy.  I love you so much.

Sunday, 28 August 2016

Shocking ignorance

Aleppo
As I walk Penne in the early morning I often encounter a very pleasant woman as she walks to St. Jude's Roman Catholic Church for daily Mass.

On Sundays she walks with her husband for Sunday Mass.

Se we neared each other this morning we heard a loud BOOM coming from the east, a boom which startled us (and Penne).

We commented on this and I said  "can you imagine being in Aleppo where people hear such booms 24/7?".

The man said  "I never heard of Aleppo, where is it?"

"In Syria", I said "the city which is being bombed to smithereens"

"Oh", he replied, "I do not keep up with the news, I have never heard of that place".

I could scarcely believe what I heard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should not have been surprised.  What passes for news in the U.,S.A. has to do with the Olympic Games, with the Kardashians, with "Kyle" Jenner, and with "Frick and Frack"  our hapless Presidential candidates -  ":He said - She said".

All we can do is beat our breasts and lament the chaos, (much of which our foreign policies [under Bush and Obama]  have precipitated).

In the meantime we will take the brave and courageous step (tongue in cheek)  of admitting 10,000 religious and persecuted refugees from the Middle East. BIG DEAL 

 (Germany has admitted more than a million!)



POTUS lacks the balls to advocate for a humane and safe immigration policy.

THE RIGHT wing operates from the paranoid and neurotic myth that every would be immigrant is a terrorist.

In the meantime, Aleppo bleeds.






Saturday, 27 August 2016

The rest of yesterday's tale (a black woman electrician etc)

The keyboard on my computer went a bit wonky yesterday, so I was unable to tell the whole tale.

Here it is

FIRST re  the image of a black woman as an electrician.

I did a Google Images search for "Electrician", and every darn picture was of a male.

So I had to do a second search for "Woman Electrician" and that's where the image popped up.

Isn't it true that when we think of "Electrician"  we inevitable "see" the image of a white male in blue jeans?

The image I posted was intended to make us reflect on our (unconscious) prejudices.


SECOND

The Master Electrician and his apprentice refused to go home at my suggestion, when, at 7:30 ish the light was poor and the weather was atrocious.   The Electrician (Jacob) said  "I never go home until the customer's power is restored." 

I sloughed off to bed and began to sleep.   I was awakened by a tap on my bedroom door.  Jacob said  "you have full power, and we are leaving".

I asked "what is the time?".

Jacob  replied "11:30 p.m."

Oh my goodness.  The two men worked until that late hour to ensure that my home had electrical power  (and air-conditioning). That's amazing.  They had begun their work at about Noon.

Sarasota and Manatee County residents are probably familiar with the bright red vans of a Manatee County Electrical firm called "Mr. Spa..y"

This was the Company which served me so well yesterday.


And here, for your joy and delight is a pic of my new breaker box.  *Now you can sleep well!!





The "guys" will be back next week to label each breaker switch.



yees





Friday, 26 August 2016

Hot and a bit bothered

I noticed yesterday that my shower water ..was tepid, even though I had turned on the water heater.

I turned it on again today, but still could not draw warm or hot water

Of course the breaker had flipped, but I could not reset it.   A call to a local business "Mr Sparky" led to a staff member being in my home within the hour.

The truth is that the entire breaker box is "shot" -  indeed some of the plastic components showed signs of melting.  Could have led to a fire eh?  It's a vintage box

So the entire box is being replaced, together with an outside box/   While they are at it the electricians are also installing three "wired"  smoke detectors  (about time you might say).

It's been a bit steamy in my home.  The work is being impeded by a huge thunderstorm, so there is now natural light  (one of them is wearing my "headlight" which I had bought for power off emergencies).

Just yesterday I had opened and tested my "emergency box"  which includes candles, flashlights, a lantern and a Coleman camping stove. So I have been able to cook!

'tis an inconvenience, but a minor one.  (I have reminded myself that I could be living in Aleppo or some other city which is being bombed to rubble