For the next generation

It was cool enough to garden this morning. That means it was 76F at 7:30 a.m!

On some other coolish mornings I’d been clearing out a garden circle in front of my condo, removing old, and weed-infested Juniper, and digging deep to get the roots.

I didn’t want to replace the Juniper with what I call “shopping plaza” shrubs and bushes (boring!), so earlier in the week I took myself to the wonderful Florida Native Plants Nursery near Old Myakka.

www.floridanativeplants.com


There I was greeted as if I were a royal guest, and given cheerful and helpful advice by one of the owners. She knew her stuff! I was happy to hear from her that there is an increasing movement towards Florida native or Florida friendly trees, plants and flowers.

I made my purchases, and today planted two Mexican Firebushes, (Florida friendly), and a Native Firebush; together with three “Prostrate Porterweeds” - not truly a weed, but a true Florida native.

It all looks a bit stark at the moment, and I’ve yet to spread some environmentally safe mulch which I’ll buy tomorrow.

But in a year or so, the Porterweed will spread, and the Firebushes grow - well more bushy!

And I was planting today not just for me, but for the next generation.

Comments

  1. Beautiful! I'm jealous. We haven't been able to water (drought here), so my plants have bit the dust, quite literally! I'll bet your gardening endeavors will look lovely in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"