A very good boss

I did not blog yesterday. I wanted to see if you missed me! Strange isn’t it, that the new created noun “ blog” has also become a verb. That’s very American.

Having had my front porch tiled, I saw that it also needed repainting. It had white stuccoed walls and my friends and I decided that it needed some colour. So it is now a sunny lemony-yellow colour. Painting on stucco ain’t fun!

That’s what I was up-to yesterday morning. In the afternoon, Ben Morse and I went to the Circus Sarasota - a true old fashioned circus. It was great.

A local couple, Pedro Reis and Dolly Reis Jacobs are trying to restore Sarasota’s circus tradition. (We were the home to the Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey circus for many years - in fact my home is built on the old circus winter quarters grounds.)

Dolly is the daughter of famed American clown Lou Jacobs. She and Pedro are true professionals, and they love circus as an art and theatre genre.

But I get to the point of my heading.

I patronise a local convenience store and gas station at which the staff are the friendliest and most helpful you could hope for. My favourite is Sandra, a 30-something store clerk.
She always has a friendly smile and time for some chit-chat.

On my recent visits I have not seen Sandra, so I asked her boss why she was not there.

He replied that the store was not as busy as usual, and that he’d had to give her reduced hours.

“That must be tough on Sandra” I said. “Yes”, he said, “I hate to do it, but all the staff are working reduced hours on a rotating basis. That way I do not have to lay-off any of them”

Good for him. He is a boss who clearly treats his staff well - I see the same staff after patronising this store for 20 months - when did you last encounter that in a convenience store?

Thanks goodness for ethical business leaders

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"