Danger" Here Be Dragons

A friend in Seminary hailed from Pinner in north London. His father was reluctant to travel far, imagining, as his wife said, that just north of Harrow there was a sign reading
“Danger: Here be Dragons”.

Last Saturday my pal Joe S and I went out to the wonderful Myakka River State Park. We rented a canoe, and paddled out into the lake which is populated by many alligators.

I was full of bravado, reasoning that the authorities would not rent canoes if the alligators were a danger to humans. Joe was not so sure.

Then, at one point, it seemed that we were being circled by six or eight alligators, with just their snouts and eyes visible above the water. Now it was my time to be nervous! “Danger: here be Alligators”.

“Danger: here be ….. you name it”. We live in a dangerous world.

The semi-fascistic Governments in the U.S.A and U.K. warn us of the danger of “terrorists”, and have scared us into submission as they rip away our civil liberties.

The stinking press in both countries make it their business to create fear about their named Dragons - Gays, Muslims, Arabs, Immigrants, Homeless people, the Poor - etc, etc, etc.

We, lulled into a stupor induced by the “bread and circuses” of our modern culture, surrender to the illusory Dragons.

I’ve taken a few risks in my life - daring the face the Dragons.

I’ve avoided many risks - running away from “Dragons” and “Alligators”. But they always caught up.

I’ve always regretted the risks I did not take.

I’ve always celebrated those risks which I took. By God, it was worthwhile!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"