The Confederacy and Jefferson Davis,


In these days of retirement I have a great deal of discretionary time: i.e. time in which there is nothing that I must do, and time in which there are many things which I can do.

So it is that I spend many afternoons reading books (which I have taken out from the splendid Sarasota County (Florida) library system) .  (At aged 66, I no longer need or wish to purchase books!)

My preference is for history and biography.  I especially need to read books about the history, and the notable persons of my adopted United States.

One of the most notable American figures was Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America.  He is an intriguing and important figure.  So it is that I have been engaged in reading a splendid biography of Jeff Davis.  It is “Jefferson Davis, American” by William J Cooper, Jr. (published by Alfred A. Knopf in 2000).

I recommend this book to those who are interested in American history. 

I remind you that that the Confederacy is part of the shared history of both the south and the north.  Those of us who are “Yankee” (the north), by birth or adoption, need to understand the history of “Dixie”, (the south), and vice-versa.   

  
Do read this compelling history of the heroic/tragic American, Jefferson Davis

That history is very illuminative of the present currents in American political life.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"