Not Fred

Lunch today was at the Diocese of South West Florida’s Camp and Conference Centre, on the Manatee River up in Ellenton FL – some 18 miles from my home.

‘Twas the annual lunch for retired Clerics and their spouses -  a nice gift from the Diocesan staff to we “old farts” – the retired deacons and priests who serve  in various parishes in this neck of the woods.

We were served an excellent meal. I enjoyed sitting at table with three folks I know quite well, and another four other folks who I did not know so well.

Apres lunch I spotted my good friend and former colleague Fred Emrich who was seated at another table.  He was engaged across his table in conversation with another retiree.

I approached Fred from behind and tickled his back. As he turned his head I said “it is great to see you here”.  He responded likewise.

Then a light dawned for me.  

It was not Fred.  

It was another retired Priest, a man whom I’d never met before.  And he had never previously met me!

We kept up the charade. He was happy to receive my greeting.  I was happy to hear his response.

But he was not Fred!

I wonder about two things:

1        Who the heck was he?

2        Is he even now wondering why I greeted him with such enthusiasm?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"