A fancy French Restaurant? Lunch today with my friends Cindy and Wes




Cindy, Wes and I enjoyed being together for lunch today at Brassiere Honore.

No, it's not a fancy French place, instead it is the Cafe within the humongous Whole Foods market at University Parkway and Honore Ave in Sarasota.

Wes and I had the Lamb Sausage sandwich (in a baguette), with Frites.

I was not impressed. The sandwich had all too much baguette, and all too little sausage (which itself was very dry, and had perhaps had but a passing acquaintance with lamb).

The frites were good!

Food aside, it was so good to be with these good friends.

I am not too fond of Whole Foods.  I believe that their success has been a triumph of marketing over substance - a place for the professionally liberal middle classes, but not for the hard scrabble and hard working working classes.

The Company has now been acquired by AMAZON  -  this gives me pause for rueful thought.  (The University/Honore store even has a special check out for Amazon Prime members, get that!)

About the somewhat pretentious name: "Brasserie Honore".

Honore  (on a ray) Ave is named for Bertha Honore Palmer a remarkable woman and a founding mother of Sarasota. It's worth reading more about her here:


http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20100117/a-century-ago-bertha-palmer-changed-the-region?start=2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"