Such a delicious lunch today

Children of the depression in the U.K. and the U.S.A,  and children of  World War Two and the following years in Europe/UK will remember that if there was meat on the plate it was always from the cheapest cuts.

The cheapest cuts were always those with a lot of fat.

Our Mum was a genius in making tasty and nutritious meals for her brood of nine using the least expensive meat.

In my home that would be "best end of neck of lamb" for lamb stews, or roasted belly of pork slices, or roasted breast of lamb, or brisket (uncured) of beef, or lamb shoulder.

Today for the first time in forty two years I saw belly of pork slices in my local supermarket.  I couldn't resist and bought some.

I roasted them in  a 450 degree electric oven, with red potatoes and plum tomatoes.

Oh so good!


Taste buds are an important part of memory.

The fat on the meat was almost as crispy as my memory told me it should be. The meat was better than good.   Thank you Mum for bequeathing taste to my memory bank.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my forty two years in the U.S.A. I have only once seen breast of lamb in a supermarket (Market Basket, Somerville, MA.)

I bought one and cooked it.  It was a failure.  I had forgotten to roast it at a very high temperature, until the fat was all crispy.  

Mum was wiser than I.  Her high temperature  roasted breast of lamb was on a par with her roasted belly of pork slices.




Some people ate breast of lamb which had been de-boned, stuffed and rolled. Dear Mum didn't have time for such a procedure!


Nor do I!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"