HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN MORSE

22nd June would have been the 97th birthday of Ben Morse, a friend to me and to many of my friends.

Ben had two long and enriching partnerships, the first for forty years with Louis Beachner  ( a somewhat well known actor in his day); the second with Bruce Wirtz (an Episcopal Priest).

Bruce served in the Diocese of Western Massachusetts which is why and how I came to know Ben.  Ben died in Dec 2016 here in Sarasota.


Ben had also been in the theatre business,  here he is as a handsome young blade.


The retired Ben was a fabulous cook; a witty host; and a man whose impatience was legendary.


One day Ben handed me this box.  I hoped against hope that he was not about to propose to me.



Fear not.   The box contained this


Ben had noted that I needed an old fashioned bottle opener. I yet keep it in the box -  makes it easy to find in my kitchen implements drawer.

He also thought that I should have a decent wine bottle stopper. Being thoughtful he chose one with a dog design  (back in the days when Penne was the love of my life)



Bruce's son Nelson was the executor of Ben's will.  He said that if I wished, I could take an item from the house  to remind me of Ben  (and of Bruce).

I chose this!   It bears truth at at least two levels.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"