If I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

If I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. (Psalm 139:8)

All last week (Sept 2nd -8th ‘07) I was thinking about Psalm 139. Part of it was the liturgical reading last Sunday (Sept 9th ‘07).

On Tuesday I was at Resurrection House in Sarasota, the day shelter for homeless people where I volunteer. I was listening to M as he told me the trials and woes of his life. I asked of he’d like to come to the Chapel to pray. That’s what he wanted to do.

I asked “are you Jewish or Christian”. (I had guessed that he is Jewish). “I am Jewish” he said, “does that make a difference?”

I reminded M that Jesus was a Jew and that Jesus had never been a Christian, and then I began to read from Psalm 139.

I had often wondered what the second part of verse 8 meant.

Then it hit me

If I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there

My homeless brothers and sisters make their beds in hell every night.

M and I prayed to the G-d of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the Holy One who makes a bed with homeless people in the streets.

M and I hugged, got teary eyed, and then he went back out to make his bed in hell.

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"