We become our parents.

We become our parents.


Yes indeed.


When I look into a mirror, I look just like a bearded Mum.

I have her cheek bones.

My formerly red hair has faded, just as hers did.

I have that jowly loose skin around my neck, which only plastic surgery could put right. And I do not have enough “plastic” to afford plastic surgery.



When I am at ease, I realise that I am holding my head just as she did.


She gave me a love for immigrants. Mum was the only person on our Street to welcome some immigrants from Pakistan with a gift of food.


And there were gifts from Dad,

He loved Irish people. Unusual for an Englishman.

He was a bit of a loner - so am I.


He spent many by listening to “classical” music on the radio.

That’s my deal too.

But it is not “all the same”


I grow much more liberal as I get older. I have no patience with conservative crap in Church or State. I think that Mum and Dad were much more conformist. I suspect that they both admired Winston Churchill.

I believe that he was an inspiring World War II leader for the U.K.; but also that he was a reactionary prick.

I know that Mum loved the British Royal Family.

I despise them, and would not cross the street to say “hello” to any one them.


But when I cut up a juicy pear - well then I know that my dear Mum lives in me.

And that’s also true for Dad when I savour a bit of watercress,

Comments

  1. Thank you for this. It struck a painful and yet lovingly true cord for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"