A "Christian" Rock concert

So I spent some time at my Church, (St. Boniface, Siesta Key, Sarasota, FL) for their “Christian Rock” blast this afternoon.

See http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=415026344/
for the line up.

I was there long enough to hear “Traphik” and “Horizons Fall”.

Traphik was squeakily clean. The band members were lovely, gentle, earnest, beautifully dressed - and not very good.

I liked them, and treated then to hot dogs and hamburgers after their gig.

Horizons Fall was more like the real thing. Their music was sensual and passionate. The band members performed with their voices and instruments, but also with their bodies.

Isn’t that what rock is all about? Isn’t that what Christian faith is all about?

“Voices, instruments and bodies”. That is my kind of Christian worship!

After Horizons Fall, this old fart had had enough. He is far more comfortable with opera, ballet and symphony!

He (I) was sorry that the audience was “sparse” to say the least.

I suspect that was for two reasons.

First: the event took place in St. Boniface’s lovely quadrangle – way back from the street. If it had been in the street-side parking lot many passers-by might have stopped,

Second: an event planned for “20 something” people is not likely to succeed if it is slated for 2:00 p.m. At that hour they are scarcely out of bed!

Having said that I add that “failure” should not be part of the Christian vocabulary. This event was not a failure.


Kudos to David and Andrea for their vision and work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"