Reunion time

It’s been a time for reunions.

Just a few weeks ago I had lunch in Lakeland FL with my niece Anne Weston and her husband Stuart, visiting from London. I’d not seen them since my mother’s funeral in 2001.

Up in Boston I was present for the 20th anniversary celebration of the Ordination of the Rt. Revd. Barbara C Harris - the first female Bishop in the Anglican Communion. We were at the Cathedral Church in Boston, and as well as giving and receiving a great big hug with Bishop Barbara, I was able to connect with many friends and colleagues.


And I went back to St. James’s in Cambridge for Sunday morning worship, my first “homecoming” since I retired from there as Rector in June 2006. Mostly I was happy to see the children – they are dear to God.

I also got reunited with snow. Between 8 and 10 inches fell on Sunday night. I was not happy to be back in the business of sweeping that wretched stuff off my rental car.

Tenderly and gracefully – from all side, I was able to spend some time with the Pope family whose 12 year old son Hunter recently died.

From New York City to Tampa, Gabriel and I were reunited with a train. It’s a 25 hour journey, but the train is comfortable and the food good. It was a beautifully relaxing way to return to Florida. The senior citizen fare is a meager $99. I am happy to see that the new administration will invest deeply in Amtrak - our “national” passenger rail system.

A couple of days after arriving home in SRQ friends of about 44 years, Colin and Lorraine Cooper from Bristol, U.K. came for lunch. They were vacationing nearby.

Then yesterday I had a call from Bob and Monica Jones - former Pittsfield parishioners.
They have retired to North Carolina, and were visiting their son Michael who lives and works in Tampa. I had not see Bob and Monica in all of 15 years, and we had a jolly lunch. Naturally I took them to the restaurant at the Bobby Jones Golf Course!

I am getting reunited with my body and still take daily exercise. This morning I drove downtown and walked over our lovely Ringling Bridge and back. It took about 50 minutes, and I enjoyed lovely breezes from the bay.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"