Thursday, 11 June 2009

The Kingdom of Savoy

Like many folks of my generation, I grew up to despise cabbage. In England (and probably in the U.S.A.) it was served limp and overcooked.

Truth to tell, it is a wonderful vegetable, and within the cabbage family “Savoy” is the tops.

I bought a Savoy cabbage today. I ate some of it stir-fried, with a wee bit of cut up shoulder steak and some mushrooms, together with some pre-made polenta, adding some low sodium soy sauce for flavour.

‘Twas not exactly gourmet cooking, but it was a feast fit for Kings, or for old Queens.

Let’s hear it for Savoy Cabbage.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, grew up on overcooked cabbage and hated it! As an adult, I've learned that it's quite delicious when cooked properly. For me, steam it lightly (leaving it a little crunchy), add a small pat of butter, and a touch of salt and pepper, and I'm happy. :)

    Of course, when making corned beef, I steam in separately, then pour a bit of the juice from the corned beef over it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete