The Kingdom of Savoy

Like many folks of my generation, I grew up to despise cabbage. In England (and probably in the U.S.A.) it was served limp and overcooked.

Truth to tell, it is a wonderful vegetable, and within the cabbage family “Savoy” is the tops.

I bought a Savoy cabbage today. I ate some of it stir-fried, with a wee bit of cut up shoulder steak and some mushrooms, together with some pre-made polenta, adding some low sodium soy sauce for flavour.

‘Twas not exactly gourmet cooking, but it was a feast fit for Kings, or for old Queens.

Let’s hear it for Savoy Cabbage.

Comments

  1. I, too, grew up on overcooked cabbage and hated it! As an adult, I've learned that it's quite delicious when cooked properly. For me, steam it lightly (leaving it a little crunchy), add a small pat of butter, and a touch of salt and pepper, and I'm happy. :)

    Of course, when making corned beef, I steam in separately, then pour a bit of the juice from the corned beef over it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"