Dreams, cats and baptism

Ever since I can remember I have had the most vivid dreams, and been blessed with the ability to remember them.

Of course, from time to time I’ve had nightmares – and then awoke with a fast beating heart.

I also have funny dreams, and have frequently woken myself up by laughing. I call out and talk in my sleep – it’s altogether quite a performance.

In remembering the dreams I can usually make the connections, and suss out their origin.

The other night I dreamed that I went into “Easton Road Methodist Church” - a Church not too far from where I grew up (and a Church long since closed).

In my dream the Church became “Eastville Methodist Church” (also now closed) – the Church where my parents got wed, and where I was baptised in 1944.

My dream told me that I was there to baptise a baby. I found the wee child, wrapped tightly in a blanket, but left alone on a pew in the corner of the Church. I began to baptise the baby - with hot sauce. Naturally the baby protested, and immediately became one of my cats - glowering at me for the indignity of hot sauce on her head.

The cat turned back into a baby who kept saying “Mowl Hall”. My dad appeared in the dream saying that the baby had been born in a house named “Mowl Hall”.

At that moment I awoke, to hear my cat Ada outside my bedroom door uttering loud “miaows” - which of course had become “Mowl Hall” in the dream.


Earlier in the week I had been looking at old photographs of Easton, Bristol - so that’s where “Easton Road Methodist Church” came in.

And the week before I had put some “Front-Line” anti flea medication on the back of Ada’s head - much to her annoyance - and that’s where the baptising a child/cat/child with hot sauce came in.


The poor wee baby – left alone on a pew? Of course that was me (all the characters in our dreams are manifestations of our selves). That spoke of my fear (and a common human fear) of being alone, and perhaps forgotten.


This all has left me thinking about Methodism in east Bristol - of which I will write tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"