Wolseley: down memory lane



On looking through some old photo’ albums today I came across a poor quality picture of a car.  (see below)      
It is the second car I owned, a Wolseley 1500.  I bought it circa 1970 from a dear friend, Geraldine R Humpidge, who died in 1991 aged 94.  I would have been 47 years old in the year she died, so our friendship was indeed inter-generational.        
Wolseley was never a major British car manufacturer.  It made “nice cars for the middle classes”, and for a long time it was the preferred car for Police use.  (Old British films with a police theme will often show a Wolseley police car.) 
Wolesley  was eventually absorbed by the “Nuffield Group” (Morris, M.G., Riley etc).        
The blue Wolseley 1500 which I owned  (registration 403 ABX) was a winner.  Despite its boxy and un-aerodynamic shape it could move.  I once drove it at 100 mph on the M4 Motorway.  It had a nifty enough engine (1500 cc, hence the unimaginative name of the car)  and a very responsive shift-stick, 4 speed gear box.    
Best of all, the fascia was trimmed with real walnut!
 
I sold it to one of my brothers when I was in my freshman year in seminary, in order to finance a trip to Kenya and Tanzania.         
Then it was sold again and again.   But the “cool” thing is that the three subsequent owners were my brothers: Andrew Povey, Stephen Povey, and Martyn Povey.    
Memory lane is about a funny old car which four Povey brothers owned and enjoyed.      
 
The scanned photo' is of the very Wolseley 1500 which I and three of my brothers owned.  The photo' dates to 1971/72.
   
Here is a better picture of a Wolseley 1500 ( though it's not the one which I owned)
 
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"