"The Great Gatsby"?


My bucket was empty yesterday because it was full!

I presided at the 10:00 a.m. Eucharist and Healing service at St. Boniface Church.

Then I rushed up to the Ringling Museums to meet Betsy, a friend from Pittsfield, who was in town for a couple of days.  She and I had lunch together alongside our mutual friend David
.
In the evening I went out for dinner with pals Ben, Gordon, John, Bob and Eric.

I rarely “eat out”, so lunch and dinner on the same day, and in two restaurants, seemed quite strange.

Nonetheless:  Pumpkin and Ginger Soup at “Station 400” made for an excellent lunch; and huge bowl of Mussels at the “Hillview Grill” satisfied me at dinner.

I’ve been more relaxed today.  Thus I have been able to indulge in my passion for reading.

I finished my reading of “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald, (first published in 1925).  It has often described as “THE great American Novel”, so I determined to read it in order to improve my American education.  

I enjoyed the tale, but never/ever will I think it to be great literature. I found it to be a bit dis-connected, and I bristled against Fitzgerald’s copious use of adjectives.

My American contemporaries were made to read the novel in High School.
Maybe many of them will remember that they read the book, but few of them will remember a darned thing about it!

So, to those who do remember I ask:  “Have I missed something?”, and “What is so great about The Great Gatsby?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"