Music and memory

As you have previously read, my home is very quiet.  The T.V. is never on.  I can live very comfortably without background noise.

However, when I go out of the house, I turn on the radio and tune in to our local classical music station WSMR.  This is for the benefit of my wonderful dog Penne.  She seems to be a bit more relaxed if the radio is on when I am absent.

It’s also for my benefit.  For, when I return home, I sometimes leave the radio on.

Thus it was that yesterday I heard one of the two “Romances for Violin and Orchestra” by Beethoven. 

As I listened my mind was filled with memories.

For when my Dad lay a dying in 1974 (before he went to Ham Green Hospital near Bristol for his final hours on this earth) I sat with him in our “middle room” and we listened to the two Beethoven Romances on an “E.P” (extended play) records (remember those E.P’s?).


‘Twas a bittersweet time.
  
I cannot be certain that Dad heard and enjoyed the music.

But Dad was there. I was there. And Beethoven was there.

In that trinity of me, dad, and Beethoven was also the trinity of God.

Here is one of the Beethoven Romances.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"