On not attending Church two weeks in a row (3)


Careful readers of this blog will have noticed that I often write “G-d”, or “The Holy One”.  I have adopted this custom from Judaism which has a wise caution against the casual invocation of the name of “The Eternal One”
.
To name something or someone is (in some fashion) an expression of a very limited human understanding.

When I see a cat I say “there is a cat”.

When I see a friend I say “hello Harry”.

I know these words, but they in no way express the meaning of “cat-ness” or “Harry-ness”.

Similarly I know the word “God”, but knowing that word does not mean that I have any deep inkling of God-ness.

That is why, in solidarity with my Jewish friends, I am sometimes wary of naming G-d.

It is important that my religious experience be rooted in awe and wonder, rather than in ** chumminess.

If the Creator is  awesome (and I believe that s/he must be so), then I will pray to that Creator not as “my best friend”, but as to a Being who is entirely above and beyond me -  viz: the Holy One.

Such is the awesomeness of G-d that to pray is to be reduced to silence. The psalm writers knew this some 3,000 years ago.  See this for instance:


Psalm 62 1 For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. 2 He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall never be shaken.


So it is that I have learned to appreciate G-d in silence, rather than in the often busy, and sometimes frenetic Church services.

1. I began to learn this in 1984 when I became the Rector at St. Stephen’s in Pittsfield, MA.  My fabulous predecessor, the Revd Andrew Wissemann had instituted a daily regime of Morning Prayer (9:00 a.m), and Evening Prayer (5:00 p.m.) using the services of the Book of Common Prayer.
We continued this regime under my Rectorship. (1984-2000). In the silences of daily morning and evening prayer I sensed the presence of the Holy One.

2. In 1999 I spent a week at the Taize Community in Burgundy, FR. (Check with Google for more information about Taize).  The worship there – three times a day – includes a ton of silence – experienced in the presence of some 3,000 other people.

It was in that in that shared silence (which at first I resisted) that I yet again had a palpable sense of the awesome presence of the awful G-d.

As the Psalmist wrote  “For God alone my soul waits in silence


(** Of course I understand that God in Jesus Christ calls me a friend.  But good friends often have their most intimate times in shared silence).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"