The saga of my car.


On Saturday 13th October 2012 the water pump on my Hyundai Santa Fe failed.  This led to a chain reaction of very costly failures.

I was sans-car for twelve days until, the repairs completed; my car and I were reunited on Thursday 25th October 2012.

I was also sans-funds!  On that Thursday I drove first to the bank at which I have a savings account, and then, laden with $100 bills I drove to the bank which hosts my checking (current) account, there to deposit them to meet the check (cheque) which I had uttered to “Sam’s Auto Repair”.

I also took my dog Penne for a ride – she regards this as a great treat.

On Friday 26th October 2012 I used my car to do a bit of shopping, I noticed a pronounced squeaky sound and guessed that one of the new belts needed some tightening.

So at 8:30 a.m. today I was back at Sam’s.  Gerry, their very excellent manager at first agreed with my guess.

But soon after my car was on the lift it became clear that something else was amiss.

It transpired that the car’s “Harmonic Balancer” was out of alignment.  “Heavens to Betsy” I had never heard of a Harmonic Balancer in a car.

“Wikipedia” has -  see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_balancer  (cut and paste if necessary)

Gerry told me that Sam’s would not be able to fix the problem until next Monday 29th October 2012, and that I could use the car “with caution”.

My own sense of caution led me to decide to leave the car at Sam’s until the repairs are made.

Sam’s Auto (God bless them) gave me a ride back to my home.

Later in the morning my good pal Ben Morse (God bless him) drove me to my Opticians Office to pick up my new spectacles, and to a store where we  could buy some supplies for the weekend.

(It was by sheer coincidence that our route took us right by “Total Wine” – Ben’s favourite store!)

So once again I am without a car.  It’s a minor nuisance.

But there are blessings.

1. Sam’s Auto will not charge me for the new repairs. Gerry told me that they should have checked the “Harmonic Balancer” when they effected the previous repairs.

2. Ben is a good pal who is always ready to be kind, helpful and gracious to all of his friends.

Comments

  1. That was certainly a chain of unfortunate events! But, it’s good that the repair shop was responsible enough to repair the new problem without the extra charge. Anyway, how’s your car now? I think it was a smart move to just let the car sit in the shop to get repaired. That way, you made sure you didn’t fool around with it and just cause more bad than good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"