My fabulous "big sister" Maureen. (and the men's final at Wimbledon)

I chatted yesterday (July 6th 2013) with my fabulous big sister Maureen on the occasion of her 76th birthday.

Maureen is just about one of the most wonderful women I have known -  and she is my sister.

She is utterly respected and loved by her husband Bernard; by her three daughters and her one son, by her sons-in-law and her daughter-in-law, by her grandchildren....

and especially by her eight siblings.

I am one of those sibs, and I could not wish for a better and more inspiring sister.

I thank God for her, and for all those thoughts of her which bring me such joy and hope, and which encourage me towards deeper faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

-----------------------------------------------------

With all of that in mind, I called my youngest brother Martyn this afternoon (July 7th). We found easy agreement in our love and respect for our oldest sister.

Martyn is making an incredible recovery from his May 26th 2013 surgery  -  thanks be to the doctors and nurses at  Frenchay Hospital in Bristol, and thanks for the many prayers to the loving God on both sides of the Atlantic.

Martyn will return to work on July 8th.  Who would have had "thunk it".

--------------------------------------------------------

At the time of my call Martyn and his fabulous wife Wendy were watching the Men's Singles Final at Wimbledon.

This caused us to think about our Mum (God rest her soul). 

Each year she took control of the television for the Wimbledon fortnight.   She loved to view Wimbledon, and none of us would dare to switch channels.  This was Mum's T.V. time  -  you'd better believe it!

--------------------------------------------------------

I am no fan of sports of any ilk, but I did get a bit excited as I watched the last bit of this final, and even more excited when Andy Murray prevailed. 

Martyn and I agreed (tongue in cheek) that if Murray won he would be British, but if he lost he would be Scottish.  (lol)

---------------------------------------------------------


I know next to nothing about  Murray's opponent,  the Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic.  But he was utterly gracious in defeat

His gracious words were a joy to hear.

----------------------------------------------------

For once the American commentators were able to say "Wimbledon".  All except for one jackass on National Public Radio who reverted to the  ghastly American pronunciation of Wimbleton"

We cannot win them all!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"