A friend indeed

I count Grace Jones as one of my dearest friends.  We met when I was the Rector at St. Stephen's in Pittsfield, MA  (1984-2000).  She ministered with me as the Junior Warden of that parish.

Grace moved away from Pittsfield to work at SUNY  (State University of New York) in Oneonta NY where I was privileged to visit with her.

Then she became the President at what is now called USU Eastern ( a State College in Utah).

Now she is the President at Three Rivers Community College in Norwich CT.  I have visited with her there two or three times.

I respect Grace for her wonderful leadership and service in higher education.

But more than that I cherish her as a friend and confidante.

We talked on the 'phone for about forty five minutes this evening.  What a blessing!

I am also grateful for her daughter Libby, Libby's husband Sam, and their children GiGi and Theo. I officiated at Sam and Libby's wedding, and baptized GiGi and Theo.  This family now lives in Austin Texas.

And I have a great respect for Grace's son Derrick.  I stayed overnight with him last January in Los Angeles when I was en-route to Vietnam.

I thank God for Grace and the blessing of our friendship.

I believe that when I approach the end of this life I will not care about the possessions I  acquired, but I will rejoice in the friendships I sustained.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"